Food-u-cate yourself!!!


In this iage where everything is on your fingertips right from emails, social networking, restaurant ratings, directions, grocery choices aren’t left behind. 

So the new app called fooducate is my new handy tool when I go grocery shopping these days. It basically helps you select the healthier and better option in grocery stores. As you scan the item it gives you a grade that item falls under and some reasoning behind it. At the same time it gives you some alternatives to consider for better option.

So before using this cool app I would go grocery shopping looking at the ingredients and the brand name and make a selection. But sometimes these criteria alone are not enough to get us fooled. 

So the past couple of time I went grocery shopping to my standard 2 stores -whole foods and target. As I was picking the stuff I was scanning the items and seeing what grade category they fell under. A & B were items I wasn’t concerned about. But one particular item fell under the D grade category and it was a surprise, its Hunts ketchup it specifically calls out for No High Fructose Corn Syrup but that’s what tricked us. In short no ketchup even falls under the B category since most of them contain 25% sugar by weight. The recommendation was having salsa instead of ketchup or making some quick homemade ketchup (makes sense but not really great a substitute according to me)

So if we think we are eating healthy we probably are being too optimistic about it. Next time when in the grocery store, don’t just read the brand and ingredients food-ucate yourself better!!

Comments

Popular Posts